Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Adirondacks

I managed to get out fishing in the Adirondacks twice last week. Last Sunday evening the weather was a muggy and warm 85 degrees when I headed out. I thought I would explore a larger river nearby that is stocked quite a bit downstream but I wasn't sure if this section of the river had any trout. I thought I would fish an Ausable bomber which the brookies love, with a BH flash back Hare's ear as a dropper. The first pool I came to I caught two smaller fall fish and I was wondering if there were any trout in this section of the river. A third cast into this pocket brought the frist brown trout of the evening. I continued to fish the bomber/hare's ear in the pockets upstream and managed a half a dozen nice browns. Half of the browns took the bomber and half on the hare's ear, some of all of which could have been wild.

After some heavy showers, the weather the rest of the week was cold and damp with highs barely reaching 60 (great fishing weather). I decided to head to a small brook
to do a little exploring a few days after the showers had moved through. When I arrived the water was quite high and most of the "pools" I usually fish in this brook were torrent of rushing water. Despite the higher water, fish were still interested in the bomber and I did catch several larger than usual brook trout. A few had bellies that were very red.This brook passes through some old growth forest which are quickly disappearing.
I did have a bit of an adventure as I was getting ready to hike back out. By this time, dusk was approaching and I noticed a darker form moving on the slope of the opposite bank of the brook. My first thought was a wolf as I quickly scanned the area for any sign of additional figures. I stayed put and watched. As the form moved
closer I could see it was a black bear. Again I scanned for any sign of a cub or other bears. The bear kept moving towards me. I usually wear a camo shirt when fishing smaller streams and I don't think the bear saw me. The bear continued to move towards me, seemingly looking right at me. I didn't want this bear harassing me, thinking I had fish so I decided to yell as loudly as I could at the bear. Fortunately for me, the bear quickly turned and ran away. As if one encounter with a bear wasn't enough, I jumped a second on the bushwhack back to the trail! All in all I had the complete Adirondack experience, wild fish, bears, raw weather "and loving it" (Maxwell Smart)

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics. I fish Tughill usually, but I love to get up to the ADK's.

    ReplyDelete