Monday, August 2, 2010

A summer morning in the Adirondacks

The morning began as most mornings do in the western Adirondacks, with a thick mist hanging over the lakes and ponds. With the thermometer at the back door reading a cool 52, I was looking forward to some early morning fishing in the mountains.

Today I had decided to explore some water I have not fished. When I arrived, the water temperature was a nice 62 but the water level was low. I had wanted to fish the Ausable Wulff, the usual, and the Ausable bomber. I started off in a long pool with the usual and was surprised by the lack of interest. I switched over to the Wulff and had the first and largest brook trout of the day. As I moved up the stream there was surprisingly little interest in the Wulff or the Ausable bomber but I did manage to bring a half dozen smaller brook trout to my hand. I guess the bright morning sun had put most of the fish in hiding.

 











 

While the fishing was not memorable, I found great pleasure in walking through these mountains seeing God’s creative glory so beautifully displayed.   The red flower is a cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis).


…Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you… (Matt 6:28-30)


4 comments:

  1. Nice pics, that is a great looking stream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Wild woods, streams and beautiful brookies.

    The top of life.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The start of an excellent blog. I just started mine too. Feel free to check it out. I am now a "follower" and will be watching for updates.

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/
    http://hubbycoach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking stream. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

    ReplyDelete