Monday, January 17, 2011

Some Bomber variations

It's been a snowy winter so far in New England this year.  Last week's storm brought nearly two feet and it's been a little tough to find some time to tie in between all the shoveling.  I have been experimenting with my favorite dry fly for brookies - the Ausable bomber.   Here are three "bomber" variations with special thanks to Brk Trt for his recipe for the Royal Bomber.  I've started using 2XL dry fly hooks for these since Fran Betters prefered a long nymph hook for this pattern.  They aren't easy to find in the #12-16 sizes I wanted but I found some through Cabella's.  The Hare's ear bomber initially started as an all woodchuck bomber but the woodchuck dubbing was a bit too spikey so I switched to hare's ear.  Can't wait to try some of these out.  Next up, will be some royal trude variations.

The Royal Coachmen Bomber
2XL dry fly hook (12-16)
Thread: black
Red floss
Tail: Golden Pheasant tippet
Body:  peacock herl
Wing:  White calf tail
Palmered grizzyl and brown hackle

The Coachmen Bomber
2XL dry fly hook (12-16)

Thread: black
Tail: Golden Pheasant tippet
Body: peacock herl
Wing: White calf tail
Palmered brown hackle

The Hare's Ear Bomber
2XL dry fly hook (12-16)
Thread: hot orange
Tail: Woodchuck guard hairs
Body: dubbed hare's ear
Wing: White calf tail
Palmered brown and grizzly hackle









6 comments:

  1. Mark,
    They all look great.
    I'll bet you have a stream picked to test them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some real cool variations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Mark. How are they working on the ADK streams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun diversions and catch fish but the standard bomber works just as well

      Delete
  4. Hi Mark
    Can you send me your email address; I would like to talk to you about ordering some of the these flies. I couldn't find your email on your blog. btloydtruss13@gmail.com

    Thanks Bill

    ReplyDelete