Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Some Royal Trudes

With all the snow we've been getting in New England and the cold temps, it's beginning to look like it will be a long time before I'll be fishing again.  Winters like this one keep the banks piled up with snow and the pools frozen over.  So I'm doing some tying and cleaning up the small stream fly box of the used and tattered.  I'm a minimalist so I like having just what is needed and nothing more when I fish.

When I first started fishing Adirondack brooks, I used to fish heavily hackled royal coachmen dries and small royal coachmen streamers.  Someone once told me the streamer looked like a "trude".  Sure enough when I looked up the royal trude I could see the resemblance.  This started me thinking about tying some royal trudes, that could be used both dry or wet.  Below are the classic royal coachmen and a "lime" version.   I use black thread, golden pheasant tippet for the tail, peacock herl for the the body with red or lime green floss, white calf tail for the wing and finish with brown hackle.  Brown hen hackle can be used to tie a wet fly version.

Royal Trude
Lime Trude

No comments:

Post a Comment