Wednesday, March 9, 2011

North country spiders : the Partridge and Green


So I've been very interested in North country spiders lately.  The other day I received a little package in the mail with English woodcock and grouse wings as well as a snipe skin to fuel my interest.  I'm some who loves old things, so the idea of tying and fishing these traditional patterns is very appealing.  I've also been following a few blogs from some anglers in the UK who tie and fish these traditional patterns.  I would recommend that you check out their blogs by referring to my blog list. 
The other day, a question came up on one of those blogs about the Partridge and Green.  From the little bit of research that I've done it doesn't appear that the Partridge and Green was ever described by  Pritt or Edmonds and Lee in their works on Traditional North country flies.  Here is a nice link I found to some of the original dressings described http://www.wetfly.co.uk/.  The Partridge and Green is obviously a variation of the well known Partridge and Orange but I really don't know who first described it.  I've found that it is very effective when fish are rising to caddis and may imitate a green bodied caddis that is present in New England or perhaps the greenish egg sack of some species of caddis.  I tie it using grey partridge both with and without dubbing prepared by mixing cuttings from a Hare's mask and Pearsall's highlander green silk.  I've been experimenting a bit with lighting used in taking pictures to better reflect the true color of the flies.  The green silk used is a darker, deep green.

10 comments:

  1. I just started tying soft hackles and really interested in giving this a try. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Niklas Dahlin's blog for some nice pictures of how to tie these and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking fly.
    I have used these when those green inchworms are about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The partridge and green and its siblings (orange and yellow) are very effective and simple to tie flies. You can't go wrong with them. However, since I have become such a fan of tenkara and the sakasa kebari flies associated with them I tie my partridge and green/orange/yellow sakasa style, that is, hackle in the reverese orientation with the tips facing the hook eye. They are just as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice sir. Looks very good to me, and such wonderful materials. Looking forward to giving them a try come what spring.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiwi

    Been following your nice blog and your "eastern" version of these. It's interesting that two very differnt fishing tranditions would come to nearly the same solution with the western tradition pointing it's hackle west and the eastern, east.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Good to see you taking an interest in the Old spider and ither traditional patterns , Try to get hold of a copy of The Practical Angler by Stewart. Also Brook and River trouting by Edmonds and Lee ( lots of facsimile copies available ) Over here these are considered the bibles on North Country Spider patterns...

    Tight lines

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andy

    Thanks, I thought I saw those titles on amazon as some type of copy. Are they readable and helpful? Very interested in learning more about fishing them, any good sources ?

    mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Edmonds and Lee copies are very good but check you get one with colour Plates. It really is worth getting a copy. The Stewart books are harder to source
    Great blog BTW, 2 weeks to go to the trout season over here, Wait is killing me. The best book dealer in the UK is :::::
    http://www.anglebooks.com/
    They have some fantastic titles >

    Andy
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice blog. Good job! I'm just starting to follow it!
    Check out my blog also!
    http://poland-fishing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete