Monday, May 30, 2011

Black Files and Brookies ?

    This weekend was our first trip up to the Adirondack Mtns in Upstate NY since the opening of trout season.   I have been wondering how my favorite little Adirondack brook faired over the harsh winter.  There was a lot of snow and much rain over the spring months resulting in record flooding.  The spring run-off along with a wet past two weeks had me wondering if the brook would be fishable.   This is also black fly season in the Adirondacks.  For those of you unfamiliar with these tiny monsters, they can drive you stark raving mad very quickly.  I thought getting up early in the morning might be my best chance of avoiding becoming bait since these little carnivores tend not be as active in the cooler parts of the day.

     When I arrived at the trailhead, I could hear the brook before I could see it, and boy was it full of rushing water.  This short clip gives you some idea of how much water was moving through brook. 
     I wondered whether I could find any softer sections to fish.  I usually bolder hop around the brook to fish it but today I had no hope of crossing it so I was restricted to fishing sections that were accessible from one side.  Dry flies were out of the question so I turned to streamers but quickly realized they were being swept too quickly along in the rough current.  I decided to try a small variation of a black bugger I tied last winter for just such an occasion.  I tie these on a size 12 nymph hook, a brass bead head, small black marabou tail, peacock herl body, and palmered black/brown hen hackle with a couple of turns at the head to form a collar.  This little fly was the ticket and I was able to hook quite a few brookies in the softer seams of the endless pocket water.
      One last intriguing spot had me wondering if a decent sized brookie could be enticed to follower the streamer.  Sure enough, as the streamer worked between two converging currents a decent fish turned on the streamer.  This time I could tell the fish had some weight to it.  As I brought it closer I was surprised to slip my hand under a beautiful rainbow, which had all the markings of a wild fish.  This is the second rainbow I have caught in this brook and I am beginning to wonder if a resident population is being established.  The colors on this fish were amazing including some faint par markings, brilliant red stripe and cheeks, and rose colored fins. 
A wild Adirondack Rainbow
      I almost thought this morning was a lost cause with all the heavy water, but I now know that all is well on my favorite little Adirondack brook in spite of the heavy snows and rains this spring and the bugs weren't that bad !

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful fish! Glad you were able to get out and do some exploring...even with the heavier water. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your Brooks in the brook fair well during the winter months. Nice fish and pics to boot. great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,
    Nice to see you back in the ADK's.
    Wonderful fish. That rainbow does look to be a wild one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone -

    Brk Trt - had one of your royal coachmen variations (Incorporator?) along but the water was moving too quickly for dries. Will have to try again next time I am up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I glad to hear you had a good outing despite the black flies. Calling them monsters is being too kind.

    ReplyDelete