Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rain, Rain and more Rain

    It's been a little while since I posted last and there is a reason for that.  The fishing has been pretty uneventful.  I headed out to a local stream early last week.  We hadn't had rain in almost two weeks and the stream was looking like it was early August rather than mid June.  There was no bug life to speak of and things were looking pretty dead.  I nymphed some deeper pockets with no interest.  After deciding this was an exercise in stupidity (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result), I opted to move to another section and do a little exploring.  When I arrived at least the birds were actively picking off bugs which was good sign.  I fished a couple of riffles and managed a small brown that poked his nose out of the water to take a tan caddis and another rainbow that shot 3-4 ft out of the water and threw the hook.  I will have to visit this section again and do a little more exploring.
     I was planning to get out again later in the week.  Last thursday evening we had a front of very strong thunderstorms roll through dropping a ton of rain which meant the rivers were high and muddy.  Friday I visited another local stream that sometimes fishes well after a rain but it was very darkly stained (think cup of coffee) and I only managed a handful of chubs. I nymphed most of the day and forgot a previously learned lesson - fish streamers in high, stained water.
     

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will catch a break soon and get some good fishing in. In the meantime getting outdoors is not such a bad consolation prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are starting to grow some mold.
    I did some recon on a small stream Sunday. It looks very promising, once the level comes down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to here you guys are still getting out, I'm going to try today after work

    ReplyDelete