Monday, June 27, 2011

Some Sunday afternoon Solitude

     It’s been a rainy couple of weeks here in Southern New England.  It seems like we are in a cycle of rain every 3-4 days.  As soon as the rivers settle and clear, we get some more rain.   The upside is that the smaller brooks are staying well-fed and cool.  Yesterday, I wanted to get out for a couple of hours so I decided around 4PM to go to a small stream and see if I could find some wild brown and brook trout.  I enjoy being out in the woods in late afternoon toward early evening and yesterday was a lovely evening to be out.  The day was bright with the occassional dark cloud but no shower activity to speak of.  The woods were alive with bird song and the smell of the damp forest was especially pleasant.
     As I worked my way downstream many trout slashed at the Ausable bomber and a few were brought to hand.  This trip I saw both brown and brook trout.  As dusk approached I had worked down into a section I had not explored before and found some nice deep depressions that I will have to return to explore further.  


    The last good looking spot yielded a sizeable rainbow.  This is the third wild trout stream this year from which I have caught a rainbow (two in CT and one in NY).  This particular fish was probably a stocked fish that had worked it’s way up into the headwaters based on it's size which was definitely over 12 inches.  I’m beginning to wonder if I’m observing a trend toward greater invasion of stocked rainbow trout into the headwaters of New England streams were native brook and wild brown trout exist.  I also wonder how this will affect the wild trout populations on these streams
A hefty invader ?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice night to be out fishing. Glad you were able to bring some good looking fish to the net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I have noticed the same thing out in PA this year, the stocked fish have been making there up the tribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice outing Mark. The bomber worked its magic.
    I asked a DEP biologist about the rainbows being in the same waters as the wild guys.
    He assured me they will not cause any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sanders, George and Brk Trt - thanks for the comments it's nice to know someone is reading these posts

    George - I think the heavy snow and wet spring contributed to significantly higher water levels than usual that may have allow access into headwaters that typically are not accessible to stocked fish.

    Brk Trt - I guess there are differing opinions among fisheries biologists. One I spoke to recently requested that I not release any rainbows back into native brook trout water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great day on the water exploring. Glad to hear the rain held off long enough for you to get your line wet. Beauty Brookie. Great Pics. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete