Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More exploring

July 5, 2011
This evening I decided to explore a brook that I had spoted back in May.  There was some nice looking water upstream of where I entered and so I headed up.  I found several plunge pools and log jams with some depth but in each there were no response to the Ausable bomber.  After heading upstream for a while, I decided head back to where I started and explore downstream.  As I headed down I spotted a long, dark, tanin stained pool that looked like it had some depth against the opposite bank with some branch and root tangles in the deeper sections.  As I observed for a while I could see some tan caddis in the air along with some small olives.  It is rare that I see any insect life on these mountain streams, so I considered this a good sign and settled into the tall grass and brush to see if I could spot any noses.  After awhile I could see some rises, including a nice splash directly across from me.  Trying to stay low yet keep my cast above the grass and brush and shoot it under some hemlock branches was a bit challenging but I did get the bomber where it needed to go and bang a brookie slashed it.  The coloration on this brookie was a lot darker and more olive than those from the stream visited the prior day.  Althought I didn’t notice at the time, it had one single red spot with a blue hallow.  I stayed in this spot for a little and managed to raise a few more fish but failed to hook any.
A one-spotted brook trout
Moving further downstream, I found the makings of a beautiful spot.  A nice riffle led into a sharp bend pool.  The pool looked quite deep and the bend had a nice log jam with the current running slowly along the jam.  There had to be brook trout in there and maybe a big bomber!  Taking a page from Brk Trt’s book of tactics, I settled into the riffle on my knees and drifted the bomber down the riffle and along a hemlock branch that was trailing along the outside bank.  In the tail of the riffle there was a slash at the bomber as I slowly retrieved it and latter a slash along the trailing hemlock but no solid hookup.  I was surprized that I could not raise a fish along the log jam but my time was running out and I needed to head home.  I would come back later and spend a little more time here and possibly see what things looked like a little further downstream.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I felt like I was right there with the rocks poking into my knee caps :) That trout is a beauty for sure. I love the dark color. That method of floating one down in and along the bank, I like to refer to any fish caught that way as Drifters. Good stuff. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The One Spotted Brook Trout, sounds like a great name for a blog.

    I fish that Bomber like you speak of, and they can't resist it.

    Great post Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and beautiful brookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Mark. I think exploring new streams is 1/2 the fun of going on a trip like you did. Discovering new possibilites and creating new memories is one of the great parts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all

    Brk Trt - been thinking about a new name for the blog maybe you have something there !

    Kiwi - for the most part the exploring was a bust but I did find one new stream with a few brookies. I definitely came to appreciate my old favorite which is hands down the best water around.

    ReplyDelete