Monday, July 11, 2011

The Outgoing Tide

We were up in the Adirondacks Mountains, NY over last week and I had the opportunity to fish a familiar brook as well as check out some brooks that had the potential to hold native brook trout.  The weather was great all week although we did have some heavy rain over the Fourth of July weekend.  I’ve updated the pictures on the blog and over the next week or so I will post a few details of the more noteable outings.

July 4, 2011 
I headed out early in the morning to my favorite mountain brook.  As I drove the air temp was a cool 58F and a low fog was draped over the mountain valleys.  I was not expecting the heavy flows I found and the brook was as high as I have ever seen it in the summer but running a cool 60F!  It was really thundering along and based on observations from later in the week it was up about 3-4 above normal and off-color from the heavy showers the previous evening.   I had been hoping to fish the “outgoing tide” (a receeding brook) since from past experience some of the larger brook trout can be caught under these conditions.
I quickly abandoned the notion of fishing dries, and tied on a “micro bugger” that I tie with a peacock herl body and palmered hen hackle and brass bead.  This combination usually works well in higher flows on this brook and this day was no different as half a dozen medium sized brookies were brought to hand and many others hooked but no large fish.  I did not venture further up into the mountains thinking that the pools I that most like to fish would not be worth the effort to get to them and there would be opportunity later in the week.  



After fishing for a couple of hours I decided to stop and look at a couple of the brooks that I wanted to explore later in the week.  The first brook looked very interesting but was considerable lower than the brook I had just fished which was very surprizing.  A limitted explore upstream and down did not reveal any signs of brook trout but it was getting near noon so I decided to explore further upstream on an early morning later in the week.  I did see this interesting tiger lilly with the trumpet shaped flowers pointing downward, which I had never seen before.
The second brook was considerable smaller but cold and had a very dense cover.  There were lots of small chubs and as I worked my way downstream I did hook a decent sized trout that came unbuttoned before getting it into the hand.  It was at the mouth of a larger river and so it could have been a brook or brown trout.  Again this stream would be explored again later in the week.
All in all it was a great start for the week with two new possiblities to explore. 

6 comments:

  1. Great photos!

    Sounds like some enjoyable fishing despite the high water. Look forward to reading and seeing more from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Jeeze how I miss being up in the Adirondacks! I can't wait till this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun and successful trip. Nice looking Brookies and I dig that wild tiger lily. Good luck on your next ventures to the area. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,
    Beautiful post. I love your streams, and the flowers.
    By now you know I love those wild jewels.

    Thanks, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanders and George - thanks for the comments, better stuff to come.

    Kiwi - there has been a lot of water in the A-dacks this year, the brooks should remain well fed and cool through the summer. If you ever up that way let me know and maybe we can meet somewhere.

    Brk Trt and Trout Magee - I love taking pictures of wild flowers and then figuring out what they are. Nice to see others enjoy that too. One of the things I love about both your blogs are the wildflower pictures and landscapes you post. Hopefully soon I will upgrade my camera to provide some sharper images and colors. The pictures don't do justice to the beauty of the flowers and especially the fish !

    ReplyDelete