Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fishing the fast water

Now that the warmer weather is here, I tend to fish the Farmington River more often since as a tail-water it stays cool during the warmer summer months.  This time of year, I like to fish the fast water with a favorite combination, the Ausable bomber with a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle trailing 30" off the bomber.  The bomber is easy to see in the heavy water and is a great indicator.  Last Friday, I had the chance to fish the afternoon into the evening.  I only brought a couple of fish into the net but I hooked quite a few good size trout that would run into the heavy current and either break me off or the hook would lose it's hold.  I had a lot of fish follow the bomber but all the fish hooked took the PT.  Fran Better's Ausable bomber never ceases to amaze me, it looks like nothing and yet it looks like everything.  It is by far my favorite fly to fish and takes  brook trout in the Adirondacks as well as "educated" fish in rivers like the Farmington.

4 comments:

  1. The Ausable bomber is an exceptional dry fly. One of my favorite fast water dry flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I just hate it when those fish just pop off the hook. The Bomber fly really is a new favorite of mine also. I like the idea that it is a great indicator fly too. You know it's a great fly when it can catch trout in states all over the country. Way to beat the heat and enjoy some river fishing. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the fish loss. But they do that somtimes? Nice blog.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the comments. If you are going to play in the fast water you are going to lose fish, just the price you pay to play. Generally, I try to get downstream of the fish (if possible) and try to work them toward slack water but would appreciate any other tips.

    ReplyDelete