Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Post Irene

Irene came and left about a week ago but many are still without power.  We made out pretty well with just a few large trees down that fortunately did not do too much damage. 
I did manage to get out for a couple of hours to a wild trout stream that I haven't fished since the spring.  The water was reasonable clear but was up to spring time levels with lots of limbs in the water.  As best I could tell the fish were holding in the same places they were the last time I was there.  I spent the late afternoon/early evening drifting an Elk hair caddis through the riffles at the head of the pools and hooked quite a few brookies and browns with  just a few brought to hand.  It was nice to see this little stream had weathered to storm.  
 
At one of the larger pools, I watched a couple of fish come completely out of the water chasing something I could not see.  I tried a few dries without any luck as well as a wet or two.  I've seen this before in the fall and my best guess is they were chasing caddis puppa but I did not have any partridge and green/orange flies with me to drift past them.  I guess that experiment will have to wait for another day.


This past weekend we traveled up to the Adirondacks and both the CT and Hudson rivers were still high and muddy even a week later.  As we traveled through the Albany NY area you could still see the effects of the severe flooding this area sustained and shut down the NYS thruway for several days.  I was not sure what to expect as we traveled further north, as I had seen reports of flooding throughout the Adirondack Park.  The rivers we passed were at springtime levels but were relatively clear.   


I did manage a couple of hours on a nearby brook that I've been exploring.  The rains had brought the brook up to a nice level and I was able to bring a few brook trout to hand.  Some were starting to show their fall colors.  


A promising look spot but a stealthy approach was needed
A local resident
Another favorite hiding place
Showing the colors of fall and a slightly kyped jaw

6 comments:

  1. Mark,
    The trout are wonderful. The streams seemed to hold up just fine......... some good fishing lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brk Trt - was glad to see you were fishing again. Looking forward to the fall. This year I would like to spend more of it on small streams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it throught the storm OK. Here on Long Island we were without power for five days but did OK. Some of the areas where I grew up in the Hudson Valley did not do so well. I'm glad to see that there is still some fishing to be had up in the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiwi - rivers are high but fish-able. I was curious to see how Schnectady and Amsterdam made it through as I had heard they had a lot of flooding in those areas as well. The rivers are coming down but looks like there is a lot of damage left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last Brook is beautiful and the fish as well. Stealthy approach for sure. Nicely done. Glad to hear you made it out of Irene O.K. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete