Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Another fall day out

I took the chance to take another afternoon off and enjoy my favorite time of year in New England.  I headed to a small stream that I haven't fished in a couple of months.  I thought this stream would be in good shape after a few days without rain.  With success I had with the black stimulator on the previous outing, I decided that I would try the stimulator with a bead head phesant tail soft hackle as a dropper.  This turned out to be a good choice as all but one fish took the dropper over the big dry.  The noteworthy exception was an orange-bellied brook trout that launched an aerial attack on the big dry and missed on the way down. His second attempt was successful but my attempt to get a picture was not.  All told, a dozen wild browns and brookies were brought to hand with the browns out numbering the brookies 3:2.






8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I felt that, for a few minutes at least, I was not stuck behind this window at work staring at a beautiful day wishing to be out on the stream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiwi - we are fortunate in CT to have the season remain open on many small streams !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report. The dry-dropper rig is the perfect small stream combo (except when it lands in a bush or over handing limb). Beautiful looking stream and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post! i need to see that while i'm sitting in my cubicle at work going insane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first brownie in the line up is awesome looking fish. Great looking small water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some beauty Brooks And Browns. Great pics. Thanks for allowing me a chance to mentally get back out on the stream :) Best wishes with the storm that just hit you guys out there with the snow. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete