Saturday, October 22, 2011

Still interested in the dry

Had the chance to get out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.  I figured with the cooler temps the fish would be interested in streamers.  In the first good run, I did manage a nice brown on a peacock and dark hen hackle bugger.  Just for kicks I tried a black stimulator (pattern from Ben over at http://theleaper.blogspot.com) to fish some slow pools and was surprised by the interest.  I fished the stimulator for the rest of the afternoon and enjoyed watching the explosive slashes that make fishing big dries in small streams such a pleasure.  A handful of nicely colored browns and a brookie were photographed and sent on their way.





Fly of the day - black stimulator
black thread
moose hair tail
palmered black saddle hackle reinforced with copper wire
coastal deer hair wing
peacock thorax
black saddle hackle over thorax
black rubber legs

7 comments:

  1. Good job, Mark! The Black Stimulator is a real killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben

    Was just in the process of going in to edit the post and mention that the pattern came from you over at the http://theleaper.blogspot.com with a little variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking wild ones.
    That stream looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brk Trt - probably a bit more familiar to you than me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually reserve my accolades for brookies but the brown is beautiful, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Black Stimulator look, especially when it's in the corner of the mouth of a trout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve - My daughter just finished a project for school where she had to collect 10 insects, tough in the fall. The one insect we could find plenty of were crickets so I thought of Ben's "after hours" stimulator and thought it would be a good match. I used a deer hair wing so that I could spot it a little better rather than a black wing

    ReplyDelete