Monday, December 5, 2011

An early December afternoon

The days are getting shorter but the cold of winter hasn't really set in.  This time of year, I try to take advantage of the mild day here and there to get outside. As I scanned the long range forecast, it looked like this afternoon would be one of the warmest in a while so I arranged to take the afternoon off and fish a favorite small stream.  This morning was shrouded in a heavy wet fog.  By noon, visibility had increased but there was still a heavy overcast, damp feeling in the air that gave a calm silence, perfect weather fishing for a wild trout stream.

Today, I thought I would fish a small bead head peacock bugger with a foam egg pattern trailed off the back.  I've never fished egg flies before so today would be the trial run for some foam eggs that I tied recently.  The trout definitely approved, totally ignoring the bugger in favor of the trailing egg.  After a while, I simplified the rig and just used the egg with a couple of small split shot.  A couple of hours on the stream produced half a dozen wild trout with lots of misses due to operator error.  The last fish of the day was my favorite, a brook trout.  This time of year, one never knows how many more opportunities there will be to get out again, so I was happy close out the day with a brook trout.





7 comments:

  1. Never fished an egg pattern either but recently started tying some up myself. Love the new banner picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice fish you caught there. Great post. I just got back from fishing a mountain stream myself. Always good to get out this late in the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tnfishdaddy - I'm really fond of that picture too, glad you like it. The eggs worked great, give them a try !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great day, Mark.
    I've used egg patterns before but not with the same results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The underestimated power of the simple egg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice report Mark. I managed to get out this past weekend to take advantage of the weather also. Other than the 15-20 turkeys that were flying over the stream near me I didn't manage to bring anything to hand but it's nice to know they are still biting and that someone is getting some action. By the way...I like the new look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice report and trout. Great pics. The December weather has been great so far!

    ReplyDelete