Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kicking it off in 2012


 With the temperatures unseasonably mild this afternoon, I took advantage of the opportunity to get out and get some fresh air and do a little fishing and exploring on a small wild trout stream.  I was a bit surprised to see the water temperature holding at 40, despite some snow melt this week.  The sun was out, it's light playfully reflecting off the riffles of this little gem of a stream.


The year began as 2011 ended with the first fish being a brook trout, a particular favorite of mine.  As I continued to explore a section of the stream I had not fished before, I had a few bumps and short strikes. I was hoping to find a tiger trout as this stream is known to have and few and sure enough in a deeper slower run a savage strike was followed by holding my first tiger trout.  I finished up the day with a pretty little brown and decided head back to the car.  What a great way to kick of 2012 !


Kicking off 2012 with a brookie

My first tiger trout

 Finishing off the afternoon with a wild hat trick

9 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, a mighty fine afternoon and a hat trick to boot.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and beautiful fish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good report, looks like you had a great time, Nice fish. Congrats on the tiger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all - it was a very nice day to be out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that is kicking off the new year in style! I have been looking for a trout hat trick for sometime now. Congrats on some beautiful fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours of the Tiger Trout. It was a special day, catching such a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice fish Mark. What fly did they fall for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. RKM - Small black beadhead "wooly bugger" that I tied with a black marabou tail, peacock herl for the body and dark brown hen hackle palmered through with a bit of a collar. I like the peacock for its irredescence and the hen hackle for it's softness and action

    ReplyDelete