Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Knotsense

Just a quick post for a knot that I now use almost exclusively for attaching the fly to leader.  The Davy knot was invented by Davy Wotton.  I used to use an improved cinch knot until I started using this knot.  It is quick to tie and strong but what I like most about it is that there is very little waste, meaning you can change your fly many times without having to tie in a new tippet. I highly recommend this knot except when using a fluorocarbon tippet as I have had this knot pull out with fluorocarbon (I think it is due to the lower friction generated when fluorocarbon rubs against fluorocarbon).

Follow this link to see how to tie a Davy knot

8 comments:

  1. That's interesting. Almost like a square knot through a hook. I'll have to give it a try.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. That's good to know about a fluorocarbon tippet when using a Davy knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the Davy. I mostly use a clinch as well. Mostly out of habit I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had an old timer show this to me, forgot what it was though. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone for the comments! If you only use an improved cinch knot, you really should learn this knot - you will be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the davy knot to connect my flies as well as my inline coiled sight indicator to my leader and tippet on my euro rigs. Strong little bugger when tied correctly - not so strong when you are NOT paying attention when tying it though, trust me.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Passinthru - Do you use fluorocarbon on your Euro rigs and if so how does the knot hold for you with fluoro?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A knot to live with.
    Especially in streams where someone never had a hit.
    Great link Mark.

    ReplyDelete