Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Stoneflies and three classic wet flies

With the warmer weather we've had around New England this winter, we are starting to see the emergence of the small dark winter stones typical of late winter and early spring.  I prefer to fish small wets when these bugs are around since in my observation, trout prefer these flies with movement rather than dead drifted.  Here are my top three stonefly patterns, all classic wet flies.  Notice how all three patterns use peacock herl.

The Leadwing coachmen
Mustad 3399 #14
black thread
peacock herl body
fine gold wire rib
mottled brown India hen back hackle
slate grey mallard wings
Matt at Caddis Chronicles has an excellent instructional video for this one click here

The Picket Pin
Mustad 3399 #12
pheasant tail fibers for the tail
black thread
body of peacock herl
fine gold wire rib
brown hen hackle palmered from head to the tail and secured with the gold wire winding forward
squirrel tail wing
head of peacock herl

A variation of the Winter Brown (a classic North Country Spider)
Mustad 3399 #14
claret Pearsall's silk thread
thorax of peacock ice dub
a couple turns of woodcock wing
head of peacock herl

8 comments:

  1. Peacock rules. Cheap, durable and a great trigger material. Nice ties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ties Mark.
    The Picket Pin......a favorite

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great flies! There is nothing like peacock herl, it's an essential part of my fly tying materials and can be found on the majority of flies that I tie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Todd, Brk Trt, and Kiwi. Can't have enough peacock ! I wonder if I could get through an entire season with only flies containing at least some peacock herl...hmmn

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it wasn't for the Picket Pin I wouldn't catch any fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them all... especially the Leadwing. Believe it or not, the Picket Pin is a new one to me but from all the rave reviews I must try it soon, thanks. FYI, I also love the Psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Year on the fly - flyfishing, as with other things in life, tends to highlight the new while the tried and true becomes obscured. Just check out Brk Trt and RKM's blogs and you'll see they've been catching fish on this pattern all winter long. This pattern can also be tied as a streamer but for winter stones, I think the smaller wet fly version should work better.

    My plan is to update the Psalm on a regular basis - thanks for reading and the comments

    ReplyDelete