Saturday, March 3, 2012

Euro nymphing practice session I

The forecast for today was for warm, wet weather and eventually the temperature did reach the 50's (F).  By mid-morning the mercury had not broken out of the 30's and the rain which started the previous evening was still coming down.  It looked like a good opportunity to get in some euro nymphing practice.  With the stained, cold water nymphing seemed like the best option.


The river was up from the recent rain, off color, and cold (39F).  This morning I brought two rods, one rigged to fish wets and the other set up to nymph.  I had a few bumps using the wets but the double nymph rig was the ticket accounting for 4 cookie cutter 14" rainbows and two browns.  The olive rubber legged bugger and the hot spot black pheasant tail both caught their equal share.  This morning's practice session provided some much needed confidence with this new technique.

Hot spot black pheasant tail
TMC 2487 #14
tungsten nickel bead
black thread
fine gold wire
black pheasant tail fibers
hot pink/pearl blended dubbing 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go with the euro nymphing - gald to see it's workign for you. Using a coiled sighter or straight sighter? I haven't used my buggers in my nymph rig, but I do use a rubber leg stonefly which is made out of chenille just like the bugger.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passinthru - So far I've used only a coiled sighter which I make. I was using a rubber legged bugger with marabou tail (no palmered hackle). The river was up quite a bit and I wanted something heavy to keep the rig down where I wanted it. I stayed away from euro nymphing since it sounded way too technical for me but it really isn't. Looking to pick up a cabella's CZN rod which have had good reviews. Do you recommend a 10 or 11 footer, was wondering if the 11' was too long for smaller water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking variation of the pheasant tail.

    ReplyDelete