Friday, March 23, 2012

Midges galore !

Had the chance to get out to a local wild trout stream in the middle of the day last Tuesday.  It was a warm, overcast day and the midges were everywhere including in my mouth as I stepped out of the car.  The trout were keyed into the midges from about 11am to 2pm when the olives started coming off.  Here's a short video that I took of the pool as I approached.


I usually cover a lot of water when I fish small streams but this afternoon I took 5 good sized browns from the same pool in a couple of hours.  The fish were very colorful with golden brown flanks and  fought as only wild fish do, including a couple of that put on quite an aerial show! All the fish were taking on a #20 Griffith's Gnat.  The last brown of the day was taken in some riffles using a soft hackle version of the bead head pheasant tail.








I visited the same stretch of water this afternoon arriving a little after 3PM.  When I arrived there was very little midge activity and a odd rising fish here and there.  I did manage two brook trout in the riffles on a parachute olive.

8 comments:

  1. Great pool! Was ol' Walter rising near the far bank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was, and it was nearly impossible to get anything over him without the current causing drag!

      Delete
  2. Though I like brookies more, those are some nice browns. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - thanks, I was really surprized by how colored they were for late march

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a little midge protein to get your fishing day started. Nice browns.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just gorgeous browns!!! Love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great looking browns. They give that brookie a run for his money. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Passinthru - the odd thing about this particular stream is that the browns are stunning in their colors and the brookies are for the large part pretty drab looking.

    ReplyDelete