Monday, March 19, 2012

A turn on the Farmington

I had the chance to spend a late morning/early afternoon on the Farmington River on Saturday.  The last time I fished this river was before hurricane Irene and the early October snowstorm that brought so much damage.  These events definitely had their effect on both the shoreline and the river bottom!  I was expecting to see some stone flies at some point so started off with the march black but only had one brief tug.  There were sporadic rises here and there but nothing consistent and I was not certain the fish were taking stones.  As the afternoon warmed the frigid 43 degree water, the surface activity increased a bit so I switched over to a black two-fly-dry with a starling and herl trailing off the bend.  Three nice, broad shouldered, browns in the 14" range were brought to the net and a handful missed on a long drifts.  Two took the starling a herl and the other the dry.  Most of the misses appeared to be chasing the wet.  It was a nice day to be out, but the 'ole feet were sure getting cold after a couple of hours

5 comments:

  1. Excellent trip. I noticed the same thing the other day the stones were hatching but the fish were sitting deep and waiting around for it to pass in front of them. Nicely done and thanks for sharing. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mark. I was out there last Thursday and couldn't land a dang fish. I lost 4 and rolled another one. 2 nice ones for sure. Even lost an entire rig on a rainbow when my knot failed - well it didn't failed I failed in tying it right.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks TM
    Thanks Passinthru - were you Euro nymphing? What flies were working for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. anchors were rubbe leg stones, vladi worm and polish woven nymphs. Droppers were frenchies with orange hot spot and Jaspers triple threat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passinthru - thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete