Monday, May 14, 2012

Back to small streams and brook trout

My last several posts have left me thinking about whether I should change the name of this blog.  This spring has drawn me to some of the larger rivers I fish with the promise of large fish eager to take a dry.  This past weekend the plan was to fish a small mountain stream in the Adirondacks.  I was expecting the black flies to be going strong, but they really weren't too bad most of the time.  Just in case, I planned to be out by dawn.  The morning started off crisp to say the least.  With the thermometer reading 31F, there was no fear of being eating alive by black flies but I could not feel my fingers until the sun started to warm things up a bit!

The stream was in good shape and lots of water moving through despite the lack of snow melt this year.  A quick check of the water temp showed it to be 52F.  With the higher flow, my best bet was a micro bead head peacock herl bugger drifted and twitched in the soft seams.  I hooked quite a few fish but most dropped off before their pictures could be taken.  The fish in general were very well colored with dark backs and orange to cherry red undersides typical of brook trout in these tanin stained waters.  Most were on the smallish side but this was probably due not being able to reach the bottom in the deeper sections due to the strong flows.

Enjoy the pictures of God's handiwork, His artistry in unmatched ...

A  waterfall study 

Even little guys will chase down a bugger 

 Adirondack gold




White trilium (protected in NYS), common in forests that have never been tilled 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I'm jealous...I will more than likely not have a chance to make it to the Adirondacks this year. At least I get to see how other anglers are making out up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice stream. I wish I fished the Adirondacks when I spent 2 years at St. Lawrence U.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice color on those brookies. Well done.

    ReplyDelete