Thursday, May 17, 2012

CT wild trout outing

Earlier in the week I was traveling for my job and on the trip home I stopped off at a wild trout stream to take a break from the traffic and fish for the remaining couple hours of daylight.  I was surprized by how low the water was.  In a couple of the pools fish were taking some small midges off the surface but I decided to fish a larger caddis dry in the riffles at the head of the pools.  I managed a brookie and 3 browns, the next to last of which was a good size fish for this small stream that ran all over the place and took a little to land.  Unfortunately, he was anxious to return home and was not interested in being photographed.  When I reached the car to break down my Echo2 3wt for the rest of the trip home, I managed to pull the reel seat apart so it went back for repairs yesterday.  No worries though, since I picked up a Cabella's Classic fiberglass 5'9" 3wt that was on sale recently so I will be fishing small streams with it for a while.  The rod has recieved some very nice reviews so I am anxious to see how this tiny rod casts on a small stream.  I'll let you know what I think of it after I've had a chance to fish it a bit.
a wild CT brown

4 comments:

  1. nice little outing in my home state. Glad you stopped and enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff Mark.
    How's that Cabelas Glass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job. I'm looking forward to the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PTO - CT has a real abundance of trout fishing from small streams to larger rivers, I am thankful we were "transplanted" here !

    Brk Trt and Ben - haven't had the chance to try out the new glass but it looks and feels like I may be using it a lot! I'll post a report after I've had the chance to use it a bit. I have a 4wt DT on my orvis battenkill I that might be just the line for it.

    ReplyDelete