Monday, July 9, 2012

Some exploring


Last week I spent a little time exploring some other thin blue lines up in the Adirondack Mountains. Several looked intriguing from the topo maps so I wanted to visit and see if there were any brook trout present.  The first brook took me 3 attempts to finally locate including several miles on some rugged logging roads.   Unfortunately the low water levels did not leave this brook in very good shape and the only fish I could find were fathead minnows.  Of the three streams one did have some small brook trout in it and some promising looking water to investigate another time.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh...the best sort of fishing right here. Exploration. Discover. The reason to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google earth and Topo maps.... priceless

    ReplyDelete
  3. e.m.b. and Swamp Yankee - that's what makes small stream fishing fun, figuring out what those lines on the map actually look like in real life and what might be just beyond the bend upstream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as fish go....win some lose some. In my opinion though, getting to spend time in the Adirondacks no matter what you are doing is a winning situation. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid it's going to be a rough summer for fishing.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need rain. A few of the streams I frequent must be low.
    I may check them out this week.

    ReplyDelete