Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How to spend a day off

Today was the only day that my calendar was free enough to take a day off.  I usually try to save a few vacations days for late fall as I really love being out in the November air.  Today was a little cooler than it's been for the past couple days.  When I left the house this morning the thermometer was reading a chilly 39F but the sun was out and it made it seem warmer than the thermometer indicated.  The plan was to fish a small wild trout stream in the morning and do some salmon fishing in the afternoon.

I fished a double rig this morning starting out with a bead head pheasant tail and partridge with a pumpkin head midge as a dropper.  All the fish early were taking the pheasant tail and a number of wild browns were brought to hand.  Eventually, I switched the midge for a foam egg, and then a picket pin wet but only the pheasant tail was drawing interest.  I ended up going back to the pumpkin head midge late morning and I soon as I did I had a wild double on.  Unfortunately both fish managed to free themselves.  From that point it a was mixed decision between the PT and partridge and the pumpkin head midge.








Flies of the day, #16 pheasant and partridge and #18 pumpkin head 
With a few hours of afternoon left, I headed off to fish for broodstock Atantic salmon.  The state of CT breeds Atlantic salmon in a local hatchery and then releases them into a couple designated areas in the state.  With the federal restoration program ending in the Northeast, the state plans to maintain the program for CT sportsmen.  

When I arrived, an older gentleman was in the process of landing one and he asked if I would assist him since he was spin fishing from shore and would not be able to easily land it in the spot he was.  I managed to tail it and hand it over to him and take a couple of pictures.  After he landed the fish, he headed home leaving his email address so I could send the pictures to him.  Not 10 minutes after he left a good sized salmon exploded on my Mickey Finn mid drift and proceed to peel line off my reel as it headed clear across the river and into a shallow area clear on the other side.  It managed to get the line hung up on a rock and I could not budge it so I headed across the river, hoping I could make it all the way across.  When I reached the snag, the fish was no where in sight.  After I freed the line the fish took off upstream in another blistering run.  I figured I would stay put and land it on the other side but the fish had other ideas and headed downstream and between some submerged rocks so I followed trying hard to keep the line free from another snag.  At this point I was in the middle of the river so I opted to head back to the side I started on and try to land it in a sandy beach area.  After a long tug of war I did manage to beach it.  Unfortunately my camera's battery was dead but another fly fisherman offered to take a picture on his camera phone and send it to me.  

What a great to be able to enjoy the outdoors and manage to fish for beautiful wild brown trout and Atlantic Salmon all in the same day.


6 comments:

  1. Very nicely done!! The Mickey Finn does it again

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great day off to me. Congrats on the salmon..it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben - thanks for all your advice on salmon fishing. Bright day, so go with the #4 Finn. This one didn't leap at all but sure ran hard. Best fight I've ever had with one

    Kiwi - thankful for days off and wild places to spend it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes great fish, well done. Keep um coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd call that a banner November day of fishing in Connecticut. Wild browns in the morning, broodstock salmon in the afternoon. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kierran - thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete