Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Hendrickson comparadun and soft-hackle

Following the emergence of the early black stones, the next major hatch in the Northeast is the Hendrickson emergence.  Who doesn't like fishing large dries to hungry fish that are looking to the surface?  The Hendricksons get going sometime in April in these parts and this year things started off at the end of March and lasted the whole month of April.  When the fish are actively taking emergers and adults off the surface the comparadun is the fly I go to.  Truth be told, I find myself fishing the comparadun for most mayfly hatches these days.

I use Delaware River Club spectrumized dubbing (Red/brown) for the Hendricksons.  I really like this dubbing because it is a blend of many colors that give an impressionistic look to the fly.  The wet or soft-hackle version of this fly was also a top producer for me.  I start off fishing the wet trailed off the bend of the comparadun.  Initially, I catch fish only on the wet, then as the fish start focusing on the adults they will take the comparadun and then back to the wet when the hatch tails off.
 Hendrickson comparadun
Size 12 TMC100 or other dry fly hook
UTC rusty brown thread
dun microfibbets for the tail (split)
Red/brown spectrumized dubbing
comparadun hair wing (deer)

Hendrickson wet
Size 12 wet fly hook (2x heavy)
UTC rusty brown thread
brown partridge fibers for the tail
Red/brown spectrumized dubbing
gold oval tinsel rib
brown partridge hackle

9 comments:

  1. Sweet flies dude, I always like getting the Northeast scoop. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. SY - thanks, these are two of my most productive flies year in and year out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soft hackle might work....will work in that stream you fished last week.
    How many did Pete order?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan - I have a hare's ear variation I'll have to give you to experiment with on small streams that I think you will like better. Pete has a few of these and he can attest to how well they work when hendricksons are on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    Both flies are exceptional; How far from the dry to the wet? Is there a standard size difference between the dry and wet? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill - I use them both as #12's and I fish the wet 24-32" behind depending on the water depth and how far I need to cast. If you tie off the bend there is less tangling when casting at distance. I use the dry as an indicator for the wet and also the signal when to clip it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BRk Trt!! You are killing me LOL !! I ran out one day on the Farmy and had to put in a special order!!!!! Special Delivery!

    ReplyDelete