Monday, January 7, 2013

Top flies of 2012 - sulfur comparadun

As I mentioned previously, I fish a lot of comparadun dries.  I really like the comparadun because it sits low in the water, floats well, is straightforward to tie, and uses simple materials.  Oh and one other thing I like about them, they catch fish!  I have been using a lot of spectrumized dubbing which can be purchased from the Delaware River club.  Spectrumized dubbing is a blended mix of a lot of colors that produces the overall color when the dubbing is wet with lots of different highlights.  For the summer sulfurs I use pale yellow spectrumized dubbing in either a size 16 or size 18.  This fly accounted for a lot of summer trout for me and my fishing buddies.

TMC 100 (#16 or #18)
pale yellow thread
light dun microfibbets split for the tail
pale yellow spectrumized dubbing
comparadun deer hair wing

7 comments:

  1. that looks great! spectrumized dubbing? is that an antron/hare mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swamp Yankee - spectrumized dubbing is a blend of primary colors that together give the overall color impression. If you actually look at the dubbing you can see yellow, white, red and pink in it and there are probably other colors as well. You can purchase the dubbing from the Delaware River club fly shop on line. I use their dubbing for the Hendrickson's, sulfurs, and Iso's, and olives.

      Delete
  2. They're great flies. That low profile draws attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Brk Trt - I haven't tied a Catskill style dry in a very long time

      Delete
  3. Nice fly, comparaduns are great. My favorite is a variation with a CDC wing. They work really well for BWO's.

    Conner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conner - you are right, this fly pattern can be varied in color and size to match a host of insects. I prefer the deer hair wing because it is pretty durable, floats well and you can add floatant to it if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT will be good day for every lakes resort minnesota .

    ReplyDelete