Saturday, February 2, 2013

A little fresh New England air


Clear cold day today, but I haven't been outside for any length of time for a few weeks so I decided to head out.  I wasn't really expecting to catch much, I really just wanted to feel the February sun on my face and get a lung full of frigid air and maybe take some pictures.



Usually on cold days like today, I have trouble keeping my hands warm.  I've never really found a pair of gloves that really keeps me warm until today.  Last year I bought a pair a Simms fingerless gloves with a mitten pull over.  These gloves were wonderful today, they kept my hands very warm and weren't constantly getting hung with the line or the fly.  The mitt can be tucked back into a band around the wrist and kept of the way.  Each thumb has a similar set up.  They were a bit pricey but well worth the money considering I was comfortable all day despite the cold

frozen runoff entering the stream keeping things cool
I fished most of the afternoon with few nymphs with no interest so I decided to try a parachute Adams for a while and then a tan elk hair caddis.  Towards the end of the day a decent brook trout decided the caddis was just what he was looking for and another winter brook trout was taken with a dry fly.  Overall, a very slow day but it was great to be outside and enjoy some winter air, take a walk in the woods, take some pictures and take a fish on a dry in February.

Apologies for the lack of focus but at least you can see the nice coloration on this
winter brook trout

6 comments:

  1. Mark
    Those Brook trout look good in any kind of exposure. Were you using a weight with the caddis or just tight lining and following the drift? Really impressed with the Orvis reel and what I think is a Temple Fork rod. Thanks sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - was using a drift/retrieve with the caddis trying to get it to drift over the right lanes. Yes, that is an Orvis Battenkill I reel ( I really love it's small size) on a Cabbela's custom glass 5"9' 3wt. It's a great small stream rod.

      Delete
  2. Nice going Mark.
    That icy stream looks sure looks cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - didn't take the temp but the brook trout was sure cold !

      Delete
  3. Did I ever tell you about the time last year when I slipped crossing an icy brook? I fell on my back and slid headfirst into the pool below the rocks I was walking on. Talk about a shock to the system. I extricated myself, shook off all of the water I could and continued to fish for at least another half hour. If anyone (a hunter was nearby) had seen this they probably would have died laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM - I don't laugh at falls any more since I torn my rotator cuff fishing in NH a couple of years ago. Try explaining to someone you torn your shoulder fishing!

      Delete