Sunday, February 17, 2013

Classic wet flies

Lately, I've been having fun tying some classic wet flies.  It started with the Fontinalis Fin I tied last week.  This week, I picked up a copy of Ray Bergman's "Trout" from our local library and was browsing through the "plates" of classic wet flies.  The plates while very beautiful are not detailed enough to give a good sense of what the flies look like in detail since they are an artist's rendering of the flies and are fairly small.  After doing some searching on the web I found the Ray Bergman collection, which has a quality photo and material list of many of the Bergman flies.

Here are two classic patterns reported to interest Northern brook trout, the Professor and the Grizzly King.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these perform this spring.  The mallard flank wing was giving me a little trouble until I figured out that lying two sets of cut barbs together and then folding in half and folding in half again provided a nicer looking wing (the Professor vs. the Grizzly king).

The Professor
Mustad 3399; #12
scarlet quill tail
yellow uni-floss body
gold tinsel tag and rib
brown hackle throat
mallard flank wing
black thread head
Grizzly King
Mustad 3399; #12
scarlet quill tail
green uni-floss body
gold tinsel tag and rib
grizzly hen hackle throat
mallard flank wing
black thread head

14 comments:

  1. Nice flies.
    I have had some success with the Professor, especially in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brk Trt. I want to try a Parmachene Belle next when some materials arrive.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on these wet flies. Thanks, also, for the link. I have been giving a lot of thought to soft hackle and traditional wet flies of late. This helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Chaser - thanks, I found the link very useful and thought others might too

      Delete
  3. Great looking flies. I've used both with sucess in NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe - thanks for the comment and for stopping by

      Delete
  4. thats a real blast from the past. Used to use the proffesor now and again for certain lochs a good fly for traditional loch style fishing on the middle dropper position, think it was taken as a shrimp imitation as it was good over the stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col - thanks for your comment, the Professor is one of those classic wets from the English tradition and I had heard that is a good stillwater pattern from Midgeman

      Delete
  5. Mark
    Both these patterns look too good to fish--I am a sucker for color fly patterns and these two are exceptional. Instead of nymphs early this year as my dropper it will be wet flies----if they ever stop generating. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - thanks, these old wets are a lot of fun to tie and I am sure I will fish a few of them at some point

      Delete
  6. Nice ties. The Grizzly King is another one of my favorite classics. The Abbey is another great one for trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - thanks, the Abbey is a very beautiful fly and one I would like to tie at some point.

      Delete
  7. Outstanding fishing Blog.I enjoyed your pictures and article.I hope you can post some more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnesota-resorts - thanks for stopping by

      Delete