Sunday, February 24, 2013

Just for fun

It's a raw, rainy New England winter day today so I thought I would tie some just for the fun of it. Among my favorite types of flies are the North country spiders.  There is just something simple yet elegant about these flies and tying them is something like eating "comfort" food.  I like to tie these on Mustad hooks because of their bronzed finish which shows through the silk when wet.  So here are a couple of North country classics for you to enjoy...

Snipe and Purple
purple Pearsall Gossomer silk (of course)
Snipe marginal covert
Mustad 94840-R50 #12
Partridge and Green
green Pearsall Gossomer silk
brown partridge (back)
Hare's ear thorax
Mustad 94840-R50 #12
 Partridge and Orange 
orange Pearsall Gossomer silk 
grey partridge 
Hares ear thorax 
Mustad 94840-R50 #12
Grouse and Orange 
orange Pearsall Gossomer silk 
grouse shoulder 
Mustad 94840-R50 #12

9 comments:

  1. Nice classics.
    I fish the Orange, and the Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brk Trt - I've fished the green and orange when caddis are on the water

      Delete
  2. Purple soft hackles are very under appreciated. Come to think of it, so is the soft hackle style. Nice ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd - I haven't fished the purple before but was thinking it should be good early in the season when the early black stones are coming off.

      Delete
  3. Simple ties, classic, and best of all they WORK! Very nice ties that should be in virtually any fly box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark
    I would assume very light tippet and rods with these special gems. Would you use these as a dropper or just dead drifting? Excellent job of tying these patterns. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill - thanks for your comments. I fish these like I would another other dry fly (5wt rod with tippet appropriate for the hook size. I use 4x or 5x most of the time (rarely 6X), anything lighter is not necessary in my opinion and just leads to "overplaying" fish. I fish them on the dead drift, swing them, and use them as droppers behind a dry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, where is a good place to get the snipe soft hackle material? Thank you. James

    ReplyDelete