Monday, February 11, 2013

Passing the time

The roads are slowing getting into passable shape around here and I fully expect this mini stay-cation will be ending tomorrow morning.  Last night the biggest front end loader I've ever seen ran down our street so with the predicted rain today, my wife and I were out clearing the "wall" at the end of the driveway.  Today we got out and shoveled a friend's flat roof that had a lot of snow on it as we were concerned that the rain was going to bring it down.

After shoveling and some shopping for needed supplies, I spent the afternoon tying.   On the list today was to finish up with some Adirondack flies and then try a classic winged wet.   The one I had in mind was the Fontinalis Fin.  I've always liked the look of this fly and this would be the first chance to try building a married wing.  After watching some videos I was ready to give it try.  I was pleased with how my first attempt came out.  The old timers used to say you could catch brook trout on a brook trout fin and I am really curious if this thing will catch fish.  Hope you all are safe and warm, God bless

A Fran Fest, some nymphs, a dozen Bombers, and some Mini Muddlers
My first attempt at a Fontinalis Fin

Mustad 3399 #12 wet fly hook

black thread
white hackle tail
orange wool body
fine gold tinsel rib
furnace hen hackle throat tied as a collar and pulled down 
married duck quill wing orange, black, white 

17 comments:

  1. If that's your first attempt at a married wing you did a remarkable job! Beautiful little bug. The little Muddlers also remind me to tie up some in the smaller sizes before spring decides to settle in out here. Small Muddlers and our Arkansas River Browns have a love affair going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Midgeman. I recently re-read Fran Better's pattern guide and was reminded to tie some mini muddlers. The ones picture are tied on a Mustad 9671 with a sparse deer hair head and collar. The yellow quill winged ones are for brook trout

      Delete
  2. Fontinalis fin is one of my all time favorite classic wet flies and you did an awesome job tying it. I also have to tie some of those picket finns also. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi, the FF is one of those classic wets from Bergman's "trout"

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks very much penbayman! Hope you didn't get hit too bad in this lastest Noreaster

      Delete
  4. Looks great - it will be fun to drift and swing those in the weeks and months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will, like I said I'm curious if brook trout will take the FF

      Delete
  5. Nice ties.
    Frans mini muddlers. Kirk and I used them on some small streams and the brookies rocked them.
    PS the bombers are not to bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brk Trt. When I saw the mini muddlers in Fran Better's pattern guide, I thought they would make a good brook trout fly especially since they are the size of a larger caddis pattern

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Color is what gets the attention and this collection is loaded you just tied up; great job. I am going to use more wets this year as oppose to last year. I am glad you guys are getting back to normal. Hope you don’t have to go through another storm this year like the one you just encountered. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill - thanks. I enjoy fishing wet flies and would recommend reading Sly Nemes "the soft-hackled fly" and Dave Hughes "wet flies". Two great books on wet fly tying and fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking flies there, Mark...I like the looks of the Mini Muddler with the yellow wing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, the mini muddler with the yellow wing is Fran's brook trout variation on the mini muddler

      Delete
  9. I can not believe I found this site. Outstanding flies. Fran taught me how to fish and I still make the annual pilgrimage to the Adirondacks each year from Texas. I tie and fish his flies here all the time. I am a Clarson Grad from Potsdam and that is how I stumbled upon the Adirodacks and the Adirondack Sports Shop. The Crappie go mad for the Mini Muddler with a red tag.

    How's the weather up there? I usually hold off till right after black fly season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted, glad you found the blog. I tie a lot of Fran's flies, it's a shame I never meet him. I fish the central and southwestern Adirondacks mostly. Black fly season in that area is usually around Memorial day, just before they show up it's nice and then early mornings during the black fly season isn't bad.

      I think the weather/snow for the Adirondacks is pretty typical for mid Feb, but costal New England had a monster snow storm !

      Delete
  10. Hi Mark
    Can you email me your email address, somehow I deleted it with other emails a couple of days ago. btloydtruss13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete