Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Royals


Still not much fishing, just enjoying the winter doing some skiing and snowmobiling checking out some new brooks in the back country and doing a lot of tying.

Here is one of my all time favorite Adirondack brook trout flies, the Royal Wulff.  These colorful flies definitely bring the brook trout up for a look.  I like these flies heavily hackled for high gradient mountain brooks.  The bright white wing makes keeping track of this fly a lot easier as they get tumbled and bounced around in the plunges and riffles.   I tie these on 2X long dry fly hooks in size 12 and 14 and use woodchuck guard hairs for the tail.

Lime Royal Wulff
2XL dry fly hook (#12/14)
Black thread
woodchuck guard hairs for tail
peacock herl body
Uni-floss (red or chartruse)
white calf tail wing, split
grizzly and brown hackle
A royal flush

12 comments:

  1. Mark first off the stream photo is awesome.
    And the Red Royal Coachman is a fave of mine.
    Nice ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - thanks, that river gets pretty warm in the summer and is mostly devoid of trout but the tribs seem to have some brook trout so the area warrants a little more exploration on my part. It's easier to get around in the winter on the snowmobile but harder to tell what the character of the streams since they are iced over and covered with snow.

      The standard red coachmen is a killer but don't ignore the chartreuse. It's gaudy but in tanin stained water works as well as the standard red.

      Delete
  2. Great looking flies. It is neat how brookies love wulff styled flies. You have me wanting to tie up some chartruse ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will - Go for it, I think you'll find they work just as well !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this post was going to be about my favorite baseball team. Unlike KC, these flies are winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - they sure are although I have no idea how a guy from RI got to be a KC Royal and Chief fan!

      Delete
  5. Mark, they are beautifully tied. The Royal Wulff has been a favorite of mine for years. Especially, on the high mountain lake Brookies. I wish I had the patience and skill to tie them, but, I usually end up buying mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rainbow Chaser. If I was going to use these on a lake or pond I would cut down on the heavy hackle out front and tie them on a more standard dry fly hook. These have a lot of hackle specifically for pocket water/plunge pool streams

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Absolute stunning fly pattern, I envy you when it comes to tying. The snow image should be framed. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bill - I find with practice most people can tie well enough to fool fish. It's pretty easy to teach yourself and there are a ton of tying videos on youtube where you can pick up a lot of tips to make things easier. Glad you enjoyed the snow picture, I really like taking landscape pictures, hopefully my skill will improve with more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark
    When I think the flies you tie couldn’t get any better, you seem to prove me wrong; this group of flies are exceptional. Color is a big factor for me when choosing flies and these would be at the top of my list. Thanks for sharing a great post!---by the way the snow images are nice




    ReplyDelete