Saturday, March 30, 2013

Keeping it going

I've been trying to keep a streak going by catching a fish on a dry each month of the year. With the cold spring we've had, this month has been tough finding fish interested in a dry fly.  I figured my best shot was yesterday afternoon on a wild trout stream.  With only a short time to fish, I hiked to a pool where last year at this time fish were eagerly taking midges.

After watching for a little I saw my first rising fish.  The dimpled rises indicated the fish were likely taking midges or very small olives.  I put on a size 20 Griffth's Gnat and drifted over where I saw the rise.  After a few drifts, I had my first wild brown and the first fish this month on the dry with the month rapidly winding down.

First wild brown
As I was releasing the fish, I noticed a slender black stone fly on my waders.  As I watched the water I could see a splashy rise here and there so I switched the Griffth's Gnat for a peacock and elk hair caddis and manged two more pretty wild browns, both of which were real leapers!

First on the peacock and elk hair caddis
red fringed adipose fin, the telltale mark of a wild brown

Even though I fished for less than an hour, it was nice to enjoy the warmth of the mid afternoon and find a couple rising fish.  Had I had more time, I could have easily managed another few fish from this pool as I left with fish still rising.

This morning I was out early Euro nymphing at dawn in the cold air and managed two brook trout and a nice sized rainbow.

Early morning brook trout
A nice rainbow that chased the Hare's ear anchor in a plunge pool
Happy Easter everyone !

12 comments:

  1. Nice job. I'm feeling left out. Stupid finger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk. Guess you'll have to get the lefty casting down soon.

      Delete
  2. Lovely browns Mark, they look in great shape after the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian - that stream has some very nice wild browns in it year after year!

      Delete
  3. Way to keep the streak alive! Close one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - thanks, it was cutting it close so I had to "stack the deck" in my favor and go someplace with the best shot at rising fish.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Brk Trt - thanks and Happy Easter to you as well

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Swamp Yankee - thanks, that stream produces some nice browns

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Colorful markings on all those trout---sometimes the short trips are the most productive. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - I hated to leave but it was an hour well spent

      Delete