Saturday, March 16, 2013

The day of the Tiger

Edison Tiger (dark)
This post isn't about tiger trout but a fly called the Edison Tiger.  I've not fished this streamer before today but it was definitely the fly the trout were interested in today.

Kirk and fished a section of a small wild trout stream that was new to Kirk. After reading one of Alan's recent posts about a red and yellow fly, I figured he was referring to an Edison Tiger (a fly I know he likes to carry).  I was wondering if the reason he had some success with it was because it could resemble a brown trout fry which might be present in some of the small streams we fish.  I've not had any experience fishing the Tiger, so I tied a pair this morning to give them a try.

A nicely colored brook trout that was interested in the Edison Tiger
With the air temps in the mid to upper 30's, the water temp at 38F, and the stream swollen with recent rains the fishing was slow but I did manage one fall fish and a nice brook trout.  Kirk managed a nice brown also on the Edison Tiger.   This morning's experiment was a success so I'll  be at the bench tying some more soon!  As I was walking along the stream, I just about stepped on brook trout of very healthy proportion sitting in a few inches of water in a little back eddy. I've seen this before during the winter months, although I have no idea why they sit in these unusual places.

A pretty brown putting a nice bend in Kirk's rod
Edison Tiger (dark) recipe:
Mustad 3665 #12
black UTC 70 thread
wood duck tail
peacock herl body
small gold wire rib
yellow bucktail wing 
red hackle fibers on top of the wing

8 comments:

  1. Nice work gents.
    A thought on the Tiger. Turn it upside down and see what it looks like, especially wet.
    Thanks for the gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - Thanks for re-introducing us to an old but great old sreamer. Hmmn, wet and upside down, I'll have to think about that one and you are certainly welcome!

      Delete
  2. BT is absolutely right on the color thing! Red and yellow are a great trigger combination! For some years now I've tied all of my small Muddlers with a sparse red and yellow underwing and for the high country where I'm going to get into Brookie water I use olive died turkey for both the wing and tail, with a head and collar of olive died deer hair. Those muddlers then look pretty close to tiny Brookies themselves and they are pretty darn effective. On your Edison, it's just great to see someone having a good day fishing some of the older patterns. That fly has taken it's fair share of trout over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midgeman - great comment thanks for provoking some more thought! I was going through Fran Better's pattern guide and saw a note on his "mini muddlers" where he notes that a yellow duck quill wing rather than the standard turkey makes for a great brook trout fly. I find it a real pleasure to fish and old fly. Not everything great is new !!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the pattern Mark, i'm going to give that a try and see if the trout this side of the pond like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col - would love to hear how you make out on your waters! A few words of advice from Brk Trt..."keep the wing sparse"

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Your streamer post is convincing me to fish more streamers this season. I am really impressed with the this pattern. Beautiful Brook on the Edison----- Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bill - There are times for streamers, wets, big bushy dries, and new is not always better. The game is about knowing when conditions are favorable for a particular technique, something I'm working on getting better at.

    ReplyDelete