Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Sensational Saturday

Spring violets blooming along the river
What a gorgeous spring day out there today with the thermometer pushing 70F.  I just love being out on the water on a sunny spring day! I met up with my buddy Pete, aka TROUTI late morning.  Pete chose the spot to start the day out with, giving me a quick lesson on Euro nymphing.  He quickly landed a rainbow and then let me at it.  I was fishing a weighted hare's ear as an anchor and my Hendrickson wet as the dropper.  I dropped the flies right where Pete said and I had a quick strike but didn't connect.  I hooked two more but didn't get them to the net before I was able to bring two fat rainbows to hand.  Both took the Hendrickson.

A little football of a rainbow
We changed location to get into position to take advantage of a possible Hendrickson hatch.  We started swinging the wets and we both connected with fish.  We started seeing a few Hendricksons on the water but not many fish interested in them.  I missed a couple on the comparadun before I was able to connect with two browns.  Mid afternoon, Pete noticed a bald eagle perched high in the trees watching over the whole area.  Later it took off and fly up river, what an enormous and majestic bird!

A nice brown taken on the comparadun
I noticed some rises up in some faster water and motioned to Pete on move up since he was not in position to take advantage on any rising fish.  Pete did pretty well with the comparadun in the faster water.  I don't know how many he landed up every time I looked up his rod had that lovely bend in it.

After messing around with a rising fish that was disinterested in anything I threw it's way, I took a cue from Pete and moved up into some faster water.  I missed a fish on the comparadun and then connected with a nice rainbow that used the heavy current to it's advantage but eventually came to hand.  We called it quits early after enjoying a great spring day out on the water together.

the last rainbow of the day

12 comments:

  1. Great day Mark and Pete.
    A fine time to be on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - yes it was! Still heating up though, better days are coming!

      Delete
  2. We had a great day! The weather, bugs and most importantly the fish cooperated. See the Bald Eagle Was a Plus!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a fine day! Here's to more spent among friends

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Those are some healthy rainbow and browns. Was you using your 3 wt and was the weighted fly a beadhead? Were you letting the wet fly just drift or did you have a tiny weight on the line to get it down? Beautiful trout on a great day of fishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - the 3 wt stays at home when I head to the big river. I was fishing a 9ft 5wt. No beads or extra weight were added to the wet flies we were just letting it swing in the current

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Mark, looks like you both had an action packed afternoon, I take it a Hendrickson is some sort of olive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian -thanks, a Hendrickson is first large mayfly to hatch in these parts. It's about a size 12. I believe the scientific name is Ephemerella subvaria. The females are a tanish olive and the males have a more brown/orange color.

      Delete
  5. Wow, a football trout. Might have a new species there. Just kidding. Nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark - that little guy looked so odd. I couldn't get my hand around his belly but I don't think he was more the 12 inches long

      Delete
  6. Love the hendrickson hatch, might have to sneak out to a big river this weekend. Nothing better than fishing big flies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LQN - you said it, this is the time of year I burn vacation time!

    ReplyDelete