Friday, April 26, 2013

Game on!

The big, wide river.  Better work on those casting skills!
I took my first trip to the big river yesterday afternoon.  A small stream this isn't!!! I was hoping to be on the river when the first Hendricksons of the season starting coming off.  When I arrived all was quite so I opted for a brace of wets which included a Hendrickson soft hackle and hooked up with three browns, all on the Hendrickson wet.  Right on time, the Hendrickson's started coming off, nothing heavy yet, but the fish were taking notice and I hooked a nice rainbow and 5 more browns on the comparadun.  As the hatch wound down, I picked up another brown on the wet and called it an afternoon.  Looks like it's "game on" for the next couple weeks!

I nice fat brown
One of a pair of rainbows
An elastomer in the right eye?  Elastomers mark "survivor strain" browns
Look like this guy tangled with a eagle or heron?

9 comments:

  1. Good looking river Mark, its big! And nice fish as well. looks like a good day out on the water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks LQN - was a good day to be out

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin - nice to be outside seeing rising fish!

      Delete
  3. Been following your blog for awhile, this is my first comment though... Awsome blog brother and it's cool to read your blog then Brook Trouts after you two get out together! I love that spot, know it like the back of my hand, as well as most the entire river itself! Thats my favorite trico spot (wink wink) maybe see ya there ! Keep posting, great ties, great fish and lovely pics. Tightlines!
    MFA (That big river regular)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments. I love meeting others who enjoy not only the fishing but everything else around. The spot above is also one of my favorites, tough wading though! Would love to meet up with you, if you ever see a slate black Explorer with CT plates you know I'm around somewhere and TROUTI is usually nearby :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry your comment din't show up til now, it was being id'd as spam. Hope we run into each other sometime on the big river. Never fished the trico's but I'll have to keep that in mind.

      Delete
  4. Just as you predicted.
    A nice outing on the "Big River"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when a plan comes together, not often for me though (always learning)

      Delete