Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Short Session

The trout season officially opens in CT this coming Saturday but there are regulated trout management areas that are open for fishing, so I shot over to one of these after work last night.  The water level was disappointingly low with few stone flies coming off.  Nothing but cubs were interested in the dry fly, but I did bring couple brook trout and rainbow  to hand Euro nymphing with the bead head pheasant tail soft hackle and a starling and herl wet fly.  Just before dark I spotted a 20"+ breeder that was cruising a small pool but it  not interested in the nymphs, streamers, and wets I tossed it's way.

6 comments:

  1. it always seems like those 20 inch fish never eat a thing.! I kicked one Sunday, I don't think he even cared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swamp Yankee - I tend to agree with you! Did see one of these landed once. They don't really fight just roll..hahah

      Delete
  2. Mark
    The Euro nymphing is one of the first techniques I will try when they stop generating. thanks for sharing ----by the way have you considered eliminating your word verification----I tried 3 times to get my post to show on your blog the other day and finally hit the right puzzle letters to complete the post--just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill thanks for the comment. Didn't realize I had it on. Must have been turned on when I changed the background. Sorry

      Delete
  3. I've rarely seen a true 20inch fish. They are few and far between around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin - The state stocks some breeder rainbows in CT. I usually see a couple early in the spring but once the season opens they get "removed" pretty quickly.

      Delete