Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Solving the puzzle

Black bead head pheasant tail soft hackle
One of the challenges that makes fly fishing fun and interesting is trying to figure out what the fish are feeding on at any given time.  Yesterday was a very warm mid April day by New England standards, with the mercury well past 80F.  When I arrived it was late afternoon and there were stone flies in the air and the occasional rise here and there.

I tried a bunch of dry flies that I usually produce when stones are about with no success.  Switching to wets gave a similar result.  As dusk approached I could see the flash of the flanks of trout as they were feeding near the bottom so I put in a black bead head pheasant tail soft hackle and slowly twitched it through the area I saw the trout and had my fish, a brook trout.  As I varied the speed of the retrieve, I was able entice a brown that decided to leave before his picture could be taken and rainbow; salvaging the evening in the last 30 minutes of light.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks CBL - it was an unusually colored, most of the one I catch are heavy spotted all across the flank, this one had very distinctive light pink flanks and cheeks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark
    Outstanding brown on the Pheasant tail. What size PT did you take the brown on? I really like the new look of your blog, "Spring Like"---thank for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - thanks, yes it was time for a spring "update". My favorite size for bead head pheasant tails is #16. I've added a picture of the fly to the post. I use India hen for the hackle(as shown)or lately I've been using starling.

      Delete
  3. Ya just gotta give them what they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark - pays to observe more than fish in such situations!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful rainbow and nice hat trick!

    ReplyDelete