Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wildflowers

I was out for a couple hours on Friday afternoon.  After arriving, I hiked to a favorite spot and noticed large blue heron standing in the pool.  It flew away before I could get a good picture of it.  As I watched the pool there was no activity whatsoever which was disappointing but also expected since the heron was probably hunting fish.  Hopefully it didn't clean the pool out of some of the nice brown trout that used to live there.

As I worked my way along the stream, the beadhead pheasant tail soft hackle connected with a few decent wild browns but I only managed on bring one brown and a small brook trout to hand.



This time of year the wildflowers are in bloom in the woods.  Bunches of daffodils could be seen randomly sprinkled in the forest, their bulbs probably carried by squirrels.

Some daffodils growing along the stream
 I also noticed a bunch of yellow wildflowers that were new to me.  They were growing in small clusters in the woods along the stream.  After doing a little investigating, I think they are trout lily which is a  great name for a small wildflower growing along a wild trout stream.

6 comments:

  1. Nice piece.
    The trout lily. The leaf is similar to the color of the brook trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - Thanks, didn't know where the name "trout lily" came from but I can definitely see the similarity of the coloration of the leaves with the back of a brook trout.

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Beautiful trout in some awesome looking outdoors ---usually when one see Dafffodils in the woods, pastures, or even on the side of the road, denotes an old home place ---at least that is what I have always heard here in the south--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - that's interesting. Didn't see any foundations around but the area I was in is full of old rock wall fences.

      Delete
  3. beautiful little creatures! nice Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - thanks for visiting; checked your blog out the other day. Love the Hendrickson video on the Neversink! Looking forward to them getting going around here.

      Delete