Monday, May 27, 2013

A little exploring with Kirk

I met up with Kirk (Trout Quest Redux) this morning for a little exploring.  The brook he took me to this morning ran through a laurel and hemlock forest.  I was a beautiful, warm, breezy day, a welcome change from the rainy, cold, weather of the last week.  The little brook had many interesting hiding spots but the fish weren't interested in the fly today.  I did manage a nice brookie in a sweet little tannin-stained pool on a #14 Usual.  When I went to take his picture, I realized my camera was dead.  I took it out last Sunday afternoon in the rain, I hope I didn't kill it in the damp weather.

Photo courtesy of Kirk

8 comments:

  1. Mark
    I drop my camera in the tailrace I fish last year, and it took about a week for it to dry out---so I think yours will still work. I am looking forward to a post from this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I have a "secret weapon" for drying out electronics (vacuum oven). Hope it works because I really love that little Nikon and all it can do

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't begin to show the beauty of the fish. I probably should have used flash. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk - no worries, it was fun exploring with you.

      Delete
  3. I hate it when that happens, I finally invested in a waterproof camera a few years ago. I would tell the wife and kids you need an early birthday/christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a waterproof camera but I don't like the quality of the photos so I bought Nikon p7000 which I really like (you can run it manually or auto) and it is small, lightweight and has a really good macro on it. Hoping to resurrect it with a little drying

      Delete
  4. Beautiful brookie.
    Exploring has been going on quite a bit the last two outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has, amazing that so many streams through our state still have native brook trout in them and it's got me thinking about a couple in a state forest near me...hummm?

      Delete