Sunday, May 5, 2013

Restoring the soul


It was another beautiful May Sunday afternoon here.  The sun was shinning in a cloudless blue sky and the wildflowers were in full bloom along the woodland stream.  There's nothing like the warm spring sun, a small brook, and a few hours of quite to restore the soul.  David said in Psalm 23; the Lord my shepherd "leads me beside the stilled waters, He restores my soul" and that was certainly my experience this afternoon.  I am so thankful for the chance to spend these quite Sunday afternoons out in God's marvelous creation!

Garlic Mustard
Dwarf Ginseng
I fished two flies, Fran Better's version of the parachute Adams (woodchuck guard hair for the tail and muskrat fur for dubbing) and a tan Elk hair caddis.  The brook trout were all over both flies sometimes taking multiple whacks at the fly as it drifted by.  I'll let the pictures say the rest...


Purple Trillium among a forest of Dwarf Ginseng
Another wild gem
This little guy tested the 3 wt and tried several times to bury himself in some submerged roots 

Wild oats
Another gorgeous brook trout to finish off the afternoon

12 comments:

  1. Very nice.
    Frans fly does it again.
    The stream looks in wonderful shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, the stream was low due to the lack of rain but still had a decent flow. The low clear water did make approach challenging and I did see more than a few larger dark shadows running for cover.

      Delete
  2. Very nice post...I agree, there is nothing better than a few hours out in the woods along a stream to make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for brookies on the dry, nice job Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a perfect afternoon to me, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Brian. I'm really enjoying photographing the wildflowers this spring and trying to identify them.

      Delete
  5. Mark
    Outstanding images of some wildflowers that can only be found in the Northeast; I haven't seen any here that resemble those. The trout are really colorful this time of year, and I can't close without mentioning that awesome Orvis fly reel--so impressed with my Orvis----thanks for sharing a great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bill, the Orvis reel shot was my attempt at trying to get a picture to send to Orvis for one of their catalogs...haha

      Delete
  6. Can't beat spring and fall in New England. Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can't. I've been trying to drink in as much of it as I can!

      Delete