Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Swing and a miss...


A bunch of Dutchman's breeches 
Alan and I met on the Farmington River this fine spring afternoon.  The sun was shining and I had high hopes of showing Alan what fishing during a Hendrickson hatch was all about.  After discussing our options we headed toward a couple spots that I had not fished yet this year.  Two guys had the first spot locked down, so we moved upstream to a place Alan was familiar with.  We fished it for a while with no signs of fish so we drove upriver to another spot.

Dutchman's breeches 
The prime spot was taken, so I headed up to the faster, deeper water and Alan headed downstream.  The hatch materialized on time but the rising fish were up tight to the opposite bank with heavy water between me and them.  I just couldn't manage to get a decent drift no matter what angle I tried.  I did manage one brook trout on the wet and hooked and quickly dropped two more on the wet swinging it through the softer water.  "Swing and a miss" turned out to be the theme for the afternoon!

A nicely colored  brook trout, I don't catch very many of these on the Farmington
After the hatch wound down, I suggested we try one more spot.  Alan managed one in the new location on a wet and I fished a spot below him and managed a rainbow which didn't make it to the net and very nice brown on the comparadun.   I ended up Euro nyphming the spot and hooked three more but only a fat 16inch rainbow made it into the net and then shot off before I could take it's picture.

A Farmy Brown that took the comparadun
It was a nice day to be out fishing some new spots (to me) with Alan.  Even though only three fish made it to the net with lots of misses, it was nice to get the hat trick with three quality fish.

14 comments:

  1. Mark
    So impressed with the size of those trout, were you using your 5 wt, since you was on the river? thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - yes I was using my 5 wt. Would love to find a smooth, lightwieght 9ft 4wt for fishing dries and wets, the 5wt is a tad too heavy.

      Delete
    2. Mark
      I am using a 9 ft. 4 wt by Redington and love the feel and action of this rod. It is quite possibility the lightness fly rods I have ever used. It load line easy and is a breeze to cast. Check out this link
      http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redingtonreg-Tempt-Fly-Rod/1437973.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dredington%2Bfly%2Brods%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D21%26y%3D17&Ntt=redington+fly+rods&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bill - will check it out

      Delete
  2. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post actually made my day. You can not imagine just
    how much time I had spent for this information!

    Thanks!

    Here is my web page - http://www.thedarkera.com/?L=blogs.blog&article=45509

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,
    It was a very enjoyable day on the big river.
    And that brook trout is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - it was a very nice day but we had to work pretty hard for a few fish. We will have to try again, so you can experience when the fish are all over the Hendricksons, it's really something else

      Delete
  4. That brookie is huge! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - yes it was decent size, not as big as the beast I caught last year nymphing though!

      http://fishingsmallstreams.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

      Delete
  5. Beautiful brookie! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet brookie, that's a nice sized one. Big rivers can be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - thanks, I just enjoy fly fishing big river or tiny brook; it's all fun to me

      Delete
  7. Looks like you guys had a great day, nice trout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, we did have a great day although we had to work hard for a few fish but with warm sun on the arms and shoulders and feet in cold moving water, who could complain!

      Delete