Saturday, June 29, 2013

Humidity and High water

the lush fern and hardwood forest
Before heading out morning, a quick check  indicated 1 inch of rain fell in the area I wanted to fish.  I wasn't sure what I was going to find, but being smaller stream, I figured it was my best chance to fish today.  The water was very high and off-color and not looking all that encouraging and a thick humid fog hung over the forest.

Swollen and stained
This little run yielded a couple brook trout
 I figured these were conditions for the mini muddler and end up fishing it most of the morning and the brook trout were taking it with abandon.  Several launching themselves out of the water.  One pretty little wild brown was in the mix this morning, I don't see many browns in this section of the stream.  Several times I switched over to an Ausable Bomber just to see but the fish had a strong preference for the mini muddler.  The morning turned out a lot better than I originally thought after seeing the swollen stream.

One of a handful of eager brook trout
this little wild brown didn't want to be left out
What amazing colors

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful brookie, I can never seem to get enough of them as well. mini muddler strikes again...okay now I will have to sit down and tie some up before the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experimented a bit with the muddler and the Bomber (my favorite small stream fly) and the muddler won hands down !

      Delete
  2. Nice pics. The muddler has been one of my comfort flies since I started fly fishing. I got some yellow quill, now I need to tie some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have trouble with quill wings try using some yellow calf tail instead

      Delete
  3. Mark
    The ferns in the first image are astounding, with all their lush green color. The Muddler is fast becoming one of my favorite flies. I am making a trip Tuesday to the tailrace and the little Muddler will be my dry to start the morning. I think I will use a small wet fly as a dropper, and see how it produces. Those are some beautiful images of the brown and brook trout. Thanks for sharing another great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - thanks, we've had a lot of rain around keeping things thick and green. Have a great time fishing this week, hopefully the muddler will work as well as it has been around here

      Delete
  4. The last brookie is gorgeous! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi - I never get tired of admiring them.

      Delete
  5. Mark,
    What is the appropriate possum dubbing to tie both the Bomber and the Ausable Wulff? Where can I find it? Thank you for your help. I just think the Bluegill will devour these two flies here in Florida. Thank you, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James the general color is burn orange, I got the dubbing I use from Fran Better's old shop in the Adirondacks, they are out of buisness. I've heard that a 50/50 mix of Awesome Possum Dubbing in their Burnt Orange and Natural Brown is close match.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Mark for pointing me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem, although for bluegill you might want to just go with a bright burnt orange and not worry too much about matching the Ausable colors exactly

    ReplyDelete