Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Ravine

This evening after work I finally paid a visit to a small brook I've been wanting to explore for some time.  From the contour lines on the map, I knew this brook was going to have a steep gradient and I was not disappointed.  I think this brook has one of the steepest gradients I've ever fished.  Moving along this brook required a good deal of concentration as one false step would mean a lengthy tumble for sure and the steep walls of the ravine were littered with massive blow downs.  The brook was one small plunge pool after another and there were quite a few small brook trout willing to slash at my Ausable bomber as I dabbled it in each mini waterfall.


There were a couple more size able brook trout that I briefly hooked in some of the plunges.  It's too bad I didn't have my Nikon P7000 with me to get some decent shots of the terrain, it was really something to see.  Unfortunately, my small waterproof camera doesn't take very good shots in low light and many of the pictures were of very poor quality.

One of the larger residents that I managed to bring to hand
Looking down into the ravine.  The stream bed is about 100' below

13 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a need for repelling gear on this creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you are right on with that comment! It's amazing to me where brook trout can flourish.

      Delete
  2. If humans struggle to get there then the fish should be safe for a while. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk - I think they are very safe indeed

      Delete
  3. Great find! Keeps most people away, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey - thanks for stopping by! I don't think very many people even think to fish this brook

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Sometimes those hard to get to places are some of the best. As for the camera work one sometimes doesn't have the time to get the correct settings when the fish are willing. Thanks for a great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill- thanks, it's a tough brook to fish and looks like it holds very small brook trout, without much room to really grow, but definitely encourages me to explore other brooks in the area.

      Delete
  5. My kind of water.
    Good stuff Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark,
    I continue to enjoy your photos and your writing. The sight are much different there then from here in hot sunny Florida. I have a question to ask. Where do you get your dry fly hackle for the Bomber fly? I would like to start tying that fly for some bluegill and bass down here. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the bomber the whiting 100 packs are good, size 12 and 14. You will need grizzly and brown.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Mark. Where can I find the appropriate possum dubbing for this fly and the Ausable Wulff? Thank you much :-)

    ReplyDelete