Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day 2013

Today, we Americans celebrate the anniversary of our Independence from Great Britain.  The spirit of self-determination is inbred in the American DNA.  The desire for self-determination propelled the first settlers to brave the harsh New England winter seeking the opportunity to worship God according to their consciences.  That same spirit stirred the colonists to insist that if they were to be taxed as English citizens then they should be represented. Happy Anniversary America!


This time of year tiger lillies are blooming by every roadside and bare patch of earth with a little sun.  It's amusing to observed how widely these hearty "independents" are distributed by the local squirrel population.

I thought I would celebrate the day by catching a few red, white, and blue trout.  The brook was surprisingly low given all the rain we've been getting and the fishing was slow.  The yellow muddler was largely ignored but given the low water, I suspected a smaller fly would be a better choice.  The first brook trout of the day took a yellow parachute.

This little red, white and blue trout eagerly took the yellow parachute in a shallow riffle

Further downstream, another brook trout swirled around the parachute but refused to resurface.  I switched to the Charles Cotton Black fly, recently described by Regular Rod on the Dry Fly Expert blog and a nice brook trout decided it was to his liking.

A simple, ancient fly still works !

The black fly accounted for a handful of brook trout before the humidity and heat persuaded me to quit.


Sticks and twigs carried along by the heavy rains and then left behind almost 4 ft above the stream bed!

9 comments:

  1. New camera?
    Mark nicely done. The parachute has been working well for me also. I to get on the stream early and I'm out of the woods by 11am.
    The "tigers" are roaring for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I found a used Nikon just like the one I had (I missed it too much). Got it on ebay for a decent price.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Mark, beautiful brookies as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and looks like you are having more success fishing than I am on Bermuda. It will be nice to return to the woods of CT. Nice way to start the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that the fishing has been slow where you are.

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Love the colors on those trout--I thought humidity was only in the south--my wife is into the tiger lillies, all over our yard--hope you had a great 4th--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using a fly that is older than the USA to catch some of your native American Brook Trout on the very day which marks the birth of the United States, is surely a very splendid way to celebrate your special holiday!

    Well done sir!


    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod and thanks for posting the fly, I have a fondness for the old ways!

      Delete