Monday, July 15, 2013

Staying cool

Cold fog hanging over the Farmington

With a hot muggy day in store for Sunday afternoon, I decided to head to nature's refrigerator after church. The upper trout management area of the Farmington River is one of the coldest places I know in the summer. The Farmington is a tailwater and so the water temperatures stay cold during the hottest days which sets up the surreal natural refrigerator.  The cold water, cools the air just above it resulting in fog layer where the cold air meets the hot humid air of a typical summer day.  In the fog layer it can be nice and cool and I was wearing a jacket even though the air temps were well into the 90's.

A wild Farmington brook trout ?

I started out the afternoon Euro nymphing since not much was happening on top.  A little wild brook trout started the afternoon off, followed by two fat rainbows that were not happy about being held for a picture, and a brown.  Rich Strolis' Super Simple accounted for the brook trout and two rainbows and the brown took his Rock Candy.

A healthy brown that took the Rock Candy 

Sulfurs started coming off sporadically around 6:30, so I had the chance to try out the new TFO BVK 4wt with the Ichthus 3/4 reel.  The combination worked really well together and was super light.  I was able to lay out some really nice casts and managed two more browns on a sulfur comparadun.  When I've had a chance to use this rig some more, I'll write a review.  But the I was very pleased with the first outing.

A darkly colored brown that took the sulfur comparadun

I stayed late to see if things would really get going.  There was more bug activity around dark but only a few fish rising to them.  I managed to break two off in the dark using the "usual" on 5x and a third fish threw the hook in mid air.  All said, a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon staying cool.

10 comments:

  1. Nice job. The Brookie appears to be wild and the brown has beautiful colors too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete - given that is was about 5 inches long, I figured it was wild. I saw that brown going aerial for something and tossed the comparadun over it's head and bang

      Delete
  2. Mark
    I am looking forward to the review on the TFOBVK 4wt with the Ichthus 3/4 reel-----I am into light fly reels and rods and this may be a set-up I would be interested in. The Farmington tailrace looks similar to our tailrace here, where the water temps stay a constant 57 to 58 with heavy fog especially on humid days. I wish we had the browns and brooks here like you guys have there. Beautiful area you are fishing--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I've got the use the rig more before I can recommend it but I was impressed. The rod is both light and powerful and can really throw a good amount of line. For the reel, I really need to hook a decent fish too see how it performs.

      Delete
  3. Nice job Mark!
    I envy you getting to fish those cool waters.
    Work has been brutal down here.
    Hope to hit a small tailwater this Sunday.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AT, sometimes just getting your feet is some cold water is enough.

      Delete
  4. beautiful, I really like the fog over the water. Looks like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - it was a nice day and a nice change of pace to have some heftier fish on the end of the line

      Delete
  5. Nice trout, the colors on that brown are awesome. What kind of sighter material do you use on your Euro nymph rig (if any at all)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - I use a straight 12" section of heavy mono that is fluorescent green and then orange. You can get it from wflies.com I tried using coiled sighters that I made but I didn't like the way they stretched out over time and would tangle "casting". If you have ever tried to untangle a Slinky you know exactly what I mean.

      Delete