Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Usual Affair

What a tremendous day we had yesterday in CT!  With air temps in the upper 70's, clear and no humidity is was a day to be enjoyed so I made the necessary arrangements and took the afternoon off.  I met up with TROUTI and we decided to work a couple different sections of the river.  I chose a riffle filled section that I could run a large stimulator through to see if I could find an opportunistic brown and boy did I !  That brown came out of a 1-2 foot channel and torn the stimulator off the 4x tippet like it was spider silk!  I nymphed another favorite run that has not produced very well this season but I did manage a nice rainbow.

Rainbow taking euro style nymphing

After checking in with TROUTI, I headed up river to another favorite spot to see what the close of the day would bring.  There were fish sipping something that I could not figure out but I did fool a couple browns on a rusty spinner and an iso comparadun.  I saw a few sulfurs in the air around 8 PM and put on a sulfur comparadun and took a few rainbows before dark and then everything went quite.  I wasn't sure if things had shut down for the night but I waited it out and sure enough things turned around as the darkness settled in.  I put on the usual at the end of the 4x tippet and had a blast catching rainbow after rainbow in the dark.  Some took on the drift and others took it on the swing.   Near the end I was just fishing by feel.  This is why I had come and I was thankful things turned around at the end and made the waiting worth it.

One of a bunch of rainbows taken in the dark

12 comments:

  1. Second Farmy story I've read this morning... I might have to try it out soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SY - you should, this time of year it's one of a few rivers that stays cool!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Blue Lines, it was nice to see things turn around late

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Mark!!! The whole river is fishing well!! All the high water and rain in June is paying dividends now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, good to see you again !

      Delete
  4. Mark
    You know you have earned the top fly fishing award when one can land trout in the dark, outstanding trip and glad you landed a bunch. I can safety say I feel comfortable using the stimulator and nymph now. In fact I use the setup as much as the dry now. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - fishing in the dark is not that difficult you just have to replace the visual clues with feel. I find in the dark the takes are pretty aggressive and not that hard to miss. Glad to hear you are having some success with the dry/dropper - great combination for sure!

      Delete
  5. Some beautiful bows you brought to hand...nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi, that spot is funny. All browns in the fading daylight then switches over to rainbows at into dark. Happened to me quite a few times....strange

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Mark, rainbows are a blast, were they jumpers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - some yes although it was hard to see for sure...haha

      Delete