Thursday, August 29, 2013

Adirondack Adventures

The brook is looking a little dry
Just got back from a few days up in the Adirondacks.  While June and July were very wet months in the mountains, August has been dry.  I had enough time for a quick trip to a brook that I haven't visited this year.  The brook was dry but the water temp was still cool.  I started off with an Elk hair caddis and brought a couple of small brook trout to hand.  I decided to experiment a bit and put on Fran Better's Picket Finn (without a bead).  The brook trout went nuts chasing it and needless to say, I will be fishing it more!   I finished up fishing the Elk hair caddis to a couple rising trout and landed one and hooked the other.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest ...

one of my favorite pools


A brook trout interested in chasing a Picket Finn
I finished up fishing the Elk hair caddis to a couple rising trout and landed one and hook and lost the other.


Daisies growing stream side


Small isolated wind damage that snapped trees off just above the ground.


8 comments:

  1. Great post mark, we've just had a very dry summer over here too, you did we'll in the conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy nice brookies. You have to love Frans patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - thanks, I love tying and fishing Fran's flies. Thanks for introducing me to another one in the Picket Finn!

      Delete
    2. Next time we fish I'll show you some flies from Frans personal fly box.

      Delete
    3. That would be great, love to see them.

      Delete
  3. The Adirondacks...it is hard to get better than that. Beautiful brookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi, couple more adirondack posts are in store!

      Delete