Monday, August 19, 2013

Sunday afternoon among friends

Cardinal flower buried in some tall grass
Yesterday afternoon, several of us met on the Farmington to introduce Apache Trout (the ravine angler) to the river.  Brk Trt and TROUTI have been fishing this river for a long time and know it very well.  TROUTI graciously introduced me to the river a few years back so I was anxious to tag along with these two veterans.  I do enjoy the solitude that fly fishing affords but I also enjoy fishing with friends.





The "crew" AT, TROUTI, Brk Trt, myself (R to L)

I arrived a bit later in the afternoon than the others and met up with them mid afternoon. The fishing was slow for some reason but a few fish were caught by all.  AT managed his first Farmington rainbow and missed a nice fish in a riffle I was showing him.

AT swinging a streamer through my favorite type of water
Rainbow that took the olive stimulator in a fast moving riffle



Fish were caught using streamers, Euro nymphing, big flies, and small flies.  There really wasn't any pattern that was consistent throughout the day.  For my part, I Euro nymphed a little and managed one feisty brown. Then turned to the olive stimulator and picked up a rainbow in some faster water.  I finished off the day with hooking up with a wild brown that took a rusty spinner (#22) around dusk.




Farmington raised brown the took the rusty spinner
The fish were sipping something small late.  I watched for a while and tossed the rusty spinner out among the rises without any notice.  I didn't make the connection at the time but I did notice having a lot of tiny flying insects on my neck and arms when standing in some tall grass. Talking with another angler later, I realized that those were tiny flying ants and it was probably what the fish were taking. Yet another lesson learned; pay attention to what lands on you and look closely at it.

10 comments:

  1. Good Day Gents!!! Glad AT got into a few!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was, even if a little on the slow side

      Delete
  2. Nicely done.
    AT was happy I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for "organizing". Guess I need to tie up some small ants!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a good time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing among Friends always makes for Fun !

      Delete
  4. Had a great time! Gonna do a return trip this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AT - now you know what everyone's been talking about!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was! We need to get you up this way sometime! Was talking to a guy who lives in Jersey just outside NYC who drove up to fish the afternoon.

      Delete