Monday, August 12, 2013

Sunday afternoons

Sundays are my favorite day of the week, a day to regain perspective, to re-align my mind with what's really important.  I love getting up in the morning and getting ready to lead worship at our church.  There is just something wonderfully refreshing about praising my Creator and Redeemer with others whose hearts beat with mine, sharing a meal with family and friends, and spending a clear late summer afternoon with my feet in a river.

This Sunday afternoon, I headed to the Farmington river.  When I arrived the fish were sipping somethings small all afternoon.  This is always a challenging affair, but a handful of browns and bows were taken on a #20 olive comparadun on 6X (I only use 6X when fishing tiny flies).

Some bows and browns on the olive, both fish have been caught before!

I stayed late hoping for a sulfur hatch with spinners to follow but it looks like things are winding down in that regard.  The olive comparadun was the ticket for most of the night and the more worn the fly, the better it worked.  At one point all the deer hair wing was gone and it was more like a soft hackle but seemed to work better that way.  I did manage a few on the usual as darkness settled in but not so many as in days past.

6 comments:

  1. Mark
    Those are some nice trout using the 6X what wt. rod were you using? The Farmington has been good to you and Alan. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I've been fishing the new (to me) TFO BVK 4wt with the Ichthus 3/4 wt reel. I've really been liking the comb becuase it is light but casts really well and had no trouble handling at 18" holdover brown on the last Farmington outing. Should do a gear review on it soon.

      Delete
  2. Nice Mark! always tough when they are taking small flies, but sounds like you matched the hatch perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LQN, yes casting to fish sipping small emergers or midges can be really frustating at times! On several drifts, I saw a fish take something inches from my fly so it possible I just hooked the "dumb" ones. I've got to tie some small soft hackles and some small Griffth's Gnats for next time

      Delete
  3. Tiny flies, and big fish. They are a odd combination.
    Why eat 1000 tiny ones instead of a few big ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - only the fish know the answer to that question! I hear you have a Farmington story to tell, can't wait to hear it; something about a big fly and a big fish...

      Delete